Tape Archive Auditing, Cataloguing and Indexing Services
Kroll Ontrack Specialists can audit, organise & index your tapes for easy access & identification.
Despite the potential implications of destroying archive data that is still within its legal retention period, accidents do occur. When finding poorly marked or unlabelled backup tapes it can be vital to determine the tape’s contents prior to making any archive destruction decisions.
Kroll Ontrack can help mitigate the risk of destroying important records that should have been retained by providing archive auditing and indexing, and at the same time help reduce the costs associated with keeping archive tapes that still need to be retained.
The Kroll Ontrack Archive Tape Audit Process
The tape audit process can be adapted to suit your specific needs, but will include at least a consideration of the following:
- Review of archive and backup media currently in place. Large vendors are always keen to move a client onto the next generation of storage technology – the result of this is that many companies often find themselves juggling a multitude of storage formats and technologies. Typically some of these are still supported and in working order while others are not.
- Can all of the media be accessed using the current IT infrastructure? Not all IT departments can read, recover or migrate tapes predating the year 2000. It is important to know what storage technology you have in-house and to verify that staff have the skills and time required to access legacy data.
- Does end-of-life data reside on the media? Maintaining permanent data availability is only one element of a successful IT infrastructure and strategy – secure end-of-life data destruction can make or break an organisation and it is vital that tape destruction is carried out in an effective manner to ensure that data contained on tape media is not accessed or available to unauthorised individuals.
- Is the media physically healthy? It is important to periodically test the health of your tape archive to avoid discovering damaged tapes just at the time when you need to restore data. Kroll Ontrack will perform a health check on your tapes and recover the data from any damaged media.
Kroll Ontrack tape services can remedy archive and backup pains through simple consultation and the prescription of bespoke solutions and propriety techniques. Dedicated project managers oversee the collection and audit of the entire tape estates and provide a detailed overview of the health of the data.
To ensure compliance with data privacy policies and restriction, each project we undertake reflect the exact needs of our client’s industry sectors and specific legislation. Contact us today on 0508 872 259 to request a free consultation and quote.
Tape Indexing and Cataloguing of Tape Archive Media
Does your organisation have long-term archives containing large amounts of historical data? Kroll Ontrack Provides indexing, cataloguing and categorising services for your storage media and data.
Analysis of Tape Contents
Having a legible data roadmap helps IT departments gain perspective over their organisation’s IT requirements. Tape estate analysis can also help mitigate data related risk exposure. Kroll Ontrack Tape Services can provide an accurate assessment of your archived data status.
Cataloguing your Archive Data
Restore requests for legacy data can be time-consuming and costly for IT departments. Kroll Ontrack Tape Services provide indexing and cataloguing solutions for archive and backup data – providing clients with a simple legible listing of their data and its location.
Content Catalogue of your Media
A Kroll Ontrack indexing and cataloguing audit will typically include:
- A comprehensive electronic catalogue and listing of all stored data stored on each tape.
- Data integrity reports: Full-text or metadata, unstructured data and e-mails, whether from Exchange, Lotus Notes or any other platform.
- Support for all standard tape and media formats such as LTO or DLT tape libraries.
- Media health testing including data and media degradation reports for ageing media with respect to age, expiration data and contamination.
- Report of inconsistencies.
Contact Kroll Ontrack today on 0508 872 259 for a free quote and consultation for any of our tape archive auditing, cataloguing and indexing services.